The new flyweight champion will attempt to defend his crown for the first time against a very familiar foe.
At UFC 269 on December 11, champion Brandon Moreno will take on former flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo for the third time. Sources familiar with the situation confirmed with MMA Junkie the title fight is in the works following a report from ESPN.
The trilogy bout will be the second title fight on the card, which does not yet have a confirmed location or venue, as Amanda Nunes is set to defend her bantamweight title against Julianna Pena.
Moreno and Figueiredo will share the cage for the third consecutive time, in what will be the quickest trilogy in UFC history, as all three bouts will have occurred in a 12-month span.
The pair ran it back six months later at UFC 263 at Gila River Arena in Glendale, Ariz. with a definitive result. Moreno defeated Figueiredo via rear-naked choke submission in the third round to claim the title, making history as the first Mexico-born fighter to become UFC champion.
With the addition, the UFC 269 lineup includes:
- Amanda Nunes vs. Julianna Pena – for women’s bantamweight title
- Brandon Moreno vs. Deiveson Figueiredo – for flyweight title
- Randy Costa vs. Tony Kelley
- Cody Garbrandt vs. Kai Kara-France
- Priscilla Cachoeira vs. Gillian Robertson
- Maycee Barber vs. Montana De La Rosa
- Dricus Du Plessis vs. Andre Muniz